Table of Contents
Welcome to our flavorful low-calorie creamy chicken soup recipe! This article will guide you through the process of making a delicious and nutritious soup that's perfect for those watching their calorie intake. Indulge in a creamy texture and rich flavors without compromising your health goals.
To make this scrumptious low-calorie creamy chicken soup, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 4 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup of low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onions and minced garlic, and sauté until they become translucent.
- Add the chopped carrots and celery to the pot, and cook for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and dried thyme. Cook them in a separate pan until they are no longer pink in the center.
- Once cooked, shred the chicken using two forks and add it to the pot with vegetables.
- Pour in the low-sodium chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender until smooth. Alternatively, you can transfer the soup in batches to a regular blender for pureeing.
- Return the pureed soup to the pot, add the low-fat milk, and stir until well combined. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings according to your preference.
- Serve the low-calorie creamy chicken soup hot, garnished with a sprinkle of fresh thyme or parsley.
This low-calorie creamy chicken soup is versatile, and you can modify it according to your taste preferences. Consider adding some of these variations:
To enjoy a delicious bowl of low calorie creamy chicken soup, follow these simple steps:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add diced onions and minced garlic to the pot. Cook until onions become translucent.
- Add diced carrots and celery to the pot. Sauté for a few minutes until slightly softened.
- Cut the chicken breast into small pieces and add them to the pot. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Pour in the chicken broth and water. Add dried thyme, rosemary, oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes, until the flavors are well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together skim milk and all-purpose flour until no lumps remain.
- Pour the milk-flour mixture into the soup pot and stir well. Cook for another 5 minutes until the soup thickens.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
- Remove the pot from heat and let the soup cool slightly before serving.
- Serve the low calorie creamy chicken soup hot and enjoy!
Note: You can garnish the soup with fresh parsley or chopped scallions for an added burst of flavor.
- Swap chicken breast for boneless, skinless chicken thighs for a richer flavor.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice for a tangy twist.
- Incorporate some cooked rice or pasta to make it heartier.
- Throw in some leafy greens, like spinach or kale, for added nutrients.
This low-calorie creamy chicken soup not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Here are a few:
Low calorie creamy chicken soup is a nutritious and delicious dish that offers numerous health benefits. Let's explore some of them:
1. Weight Management
Due to its low calorie content, low calorie creamy chicken soup can be an excellent addition to your weight loss or weight management plan. It provides a satisfying and filling meal option without packing on unnecessary calories.
2. High Protein Content
Chicken is a great source of lean protein, and this soup contains generous amounts of it. Protein is essential for muscle repair and growth, supports healthy metabolism, and helps in keeping you full for longer periods.
3. Nutrient-rich Ingredients
Low calorie creamy chicken soup often contains a variety of vegetables like carrots, celery, and onions, which add a range of essential vitamins and minerals to the dish. These nutrients are crucial for overall health and wellbeing.
4. Boosts Immune System
Chicken soup is renowned for its ability to boost the immune system. The combination of chicken, vegetables, and spices in low calorie creamy chicken soup provides vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals that can strengthen your body's defenses against illnesses.
5. Promotes Hydration
Soup, including low calorie creamy chicken soup, contributes to your daily fluid intake. Staying hydrated is vital for numerous bodily functions and supports healthy digestion, circulation, and overall well-being.
6. Easy on Digestion
As the soup is made with light ingredients and broth, it is generally easier to digest. This makes it a suitable option for those with digestive sensitivities or anyone looking for a gentle yet nutritious meal.
Incorporating low calorie creamy chicken soup into your diet can be an excellent choice for improving your health while savoring a tasty meal. Enjoy the benefits of this delightful dish!
- Rich in lean protein from chicken breasts
- Low in calories, ideal for weight management
- Packed with vitamins and minerals from carrots, celery, and onions
- Provides warmth and comfort on chilly days
- Boosts immunity with the help of chicken broth
Storage and Reheating
If you have leftovers or want to prepare this low-calorie creamy chicken soup in advance, follow these storage and reheating instructions:
When it comes to preserving and reheating your low calorie creamy chicken soup, proper storage and handling is key. Here are some important tips to ensure that your soup stays fresh and flavorful:
- After cooking the soup, let it cool down to room temperature before storing.
- Transfer the soup into an airtight container, such as a glass jar or a food-safe plastic container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Label the container with the date of preparation to help keep track of freshness.
- Store the soup in the refrigerator, ideally in the coldest part, at a temperature below 40°F (4°C).
- Avoid storing the soup for more than 3-4 days to ensure optimal freshness and safety.
- Before reheating, take out the desired portion of soup from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature.
- You can reheat the soup either on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- If using a stovetop, place the soup in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching until the desired temperature is reached.
- If using a microwave, transfer the soup to a microwave-safe bowl and cover it with a microwave-safe plate or a microwave-safe plastic wrap. Heat in 1-minute intervals, stirring in between, until thoroughly heated.
- Once reheated, ensure that the soup reaches a temperature of at least 165°F (74°C) to guarantee it is safe to consume.
- Be cautious when handling hot soup to avoid burns.
By following these storage and reheating guidelines, you can enjoy your low calorie creamy chicken soup safely and conveniently whenever you crave it.
- Allow the soup to cool down completely before transferring it to an airtight container.
- Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw frozen soup in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
- Heat gently on the stovetop, stirring occasionally until warmed through.
- Adjust the consistency with a splash of milk or broth, if needed.
Q: Can I make this soup vegetarian-friendly?
A: Absolutely! Replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth and omit the chicken. You can also add more vegetables or substitute the chicken with tofu for a protein source.
Q: Is this soup suitable for a dairy-free diet?
A: While the original recipe calls for low-fat milk, you can easily use your favorite dairy-free milk alternative like almond milk, coconut milk, or oat milk for a creamy texture.
Q: Can I use pre-cooked chicken instead of cooking it from scratch?
A: Yes, using pre-cooked chicken can save you time. Simply shred the pre-cooked chicken and add it to the pot along with the vegetables. Reduce the simmering time to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Indulge in a creamy and flavorful low-calorie chicken soup.
- Follow the recipe for a delicious, easy-to-make meal.
- Experiment with variations to customize the soup according to your preferences.
- Enjoy the health benefits of lean protein and essential vitamins and minerals.
- Store and reheat leftovers for convenience.